Engaged, productive employees are an important part to any organization’s success. Every manager dreams of recruiting the perfect team, but it never fails — there will always be some people who are sinking your boat. One way to ensure engaged employees is by making sure you only hire those who fit well into your company culture and will optimize your team’s performance. Unfortunately, hiring the perfect cultural fit is easier said than done.
Hiring for cultural fit happens throughout the entire recruiting process. You need the right job description, strategic resume screening, and of course, some unique interview questions. Here are some interview questions you may want to add into your processes that help you learn if an applicant will get along with their potential team, manager, and will fit into the overall culture.
Will they fit with the rest of the team (assuming it is a team-based role)?
- What is your definition of “team work”?
- Are you more effective working alone or part of a team? In a perfect role, what proportion of each would you have?
- What role do you most often play when working in a team?
- What type of team member frustrates you the most?
- Tell me about the best team you have been a part of. Why was it so great?
Will they fit with the manager?
- Describe your ideal boss?
- What management style brings out your best work?
- What should senior leaders in an organization do to make the employees successful at their job?
- How would you describe your relationship with past managers?
Will they fit into the social environment of your office (or do they expect one that doesn’t exist)?
- Are you comfortable having friends at work? Or do you prefer to keep friendships for outside the workplace?
- How do you feel about becoming best friends with your co-workers?
Will they fit into the overall culture? Better yet, do you fit the candidate’s ideal corporate culture?
- What are your values?
- What motivates you to come into work every day?
- What is the single most important thing your workplace must have in order for you to love the environment?
- What is your favourite part about the culture at your most recent place of work?
- What did you hate the most at your most recent place of work?
Whether or not a candidate’s answer to these interview questions is the “right” answer will depend heavily on what you’re looking for in a person and your own company values. Is team work and being super social important, or does your office prefer to keep to themselves? What kind of management style does your organization tend to follow? These are questions that you’ll want to answer yourself and determine what “cultural fit” means to you. Once that answer is obvious, learning which candidates fit into your culture becomes a lot easier.
How do you determine cultural fit? Do you have any favourite questions to ask that aren’t listed above? Share them in the comments below!