A couple weeks ago we shared some reasons why you should be implementing video job postings into your recruiting strategy. Videos add emotion, demonstrate corporate culture, improve social media presence, skyrocket your SEO and position your company as an innovative organization.
If you’re like many people, you read that post and immediately thought to yourself “Yeah, right! My company’s too small for that.” Yes, producing a video can be a complex, expensive process, but it doesn’t have to be. Here’s all you really need to do to make a video without any costs at all:
- Start with the right tools. There’s no need to go out and purchase a state-of-the-art camera and microphone. Very often, the smartphone or webcam you already own will suffice. Just make sure you have great sound quality and the camera is stable. Shakey, inaudible videos will come across as cheap and have reverse effects on your reputation.
- Include the right content. Content is crucial in your video, so make sure you plan accordingly. A few suggestions include:
- Have an employee already in the role describe it and say what they do in a normal day
- Include footage of the office and employees interacting
- Demonstrate your culture in every way – your clothes, the background, your tone of voice, etc.
- Show the perks and benefits of working at your company
- Make sure everybody’s smiling!
- Don’t Skip the Editing. Once you’ve recorded your video, use some video editing software to put it all together and publish it into a file that’s easy to post online. Windows Movie Maker is easy to use and free to download, so may be a good start. You can use it to piece together multiple video clips, add text and include background music.
- Get a YouTube account. If your company doesn’t already have one, sign up for a YouTube account. It’s free and it’s simple to upload your video. YouTube also has some editing features that will help you improve the quality and allow you to add hyperlinks at certain points (possibly to your Application page).
- Embed it onto your website. Visit your published YouTube video and hit the Share button located below the video. Select Embed and YouTube gives you code to embed an iFrame onto your site. If you have access to edit your content using HTML, all you need to do is paste this code. If you’re not sure about this part, send the code to your webmaster. They’ll be able to get it posted with little effort.
- Put your video job posting out on social media. Use the link from the Share section in YouTube to share your video across all social networks — LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook (you can also upload it directly to Facebook). Remember to ask your staff to share and like it as well so it gets more attention. If it’s a regular posting, consider adding it to your company page so anybody who visits will see it.
That’s it! Obviously the more time you put into your video, the better it will look. And if you decide to invest in better equipment or services, the output will improve. If you follow the steps above, though, you should easily be able to create a professional video job posting that will grab the attention of your applicants. Give it a shot. If you have any questions, leave them in the comments below and we’ll be happy to help!